Jan. 8 - Students Return to In-Person Learning
January 8, 2021
Dear Parents and Guardians:
Yesterday afternoon the Government of Alberta confirmed students from pre-kindergarten through to grade 12 will return to in-person learning on January 11th. We are excited that your children will soon be back in school and in our classrooms learning. If your child is enrolled in the Supported At-Home Learning program, we are excited to continue providing on-line learning opportunities.
Keeping our Schools Safe
With this in mind I would again like to remind you that all the previous parameters of our School Re-Entry Guide remain in place. Your diligence and support in helping us to keep the school community safe is critical. Please remember to:
- complete the Daily Screening Tool with your child and do not send your child to school if they are feeling unwell;
- follow the COVID-19 Symptom flowcharts applicable to your child’s symptoms
- ensure your grades 4-12 child has their mask to wear while on the bus and in school;
- remind your child to wash and sanitize their hands regularly;
- remind your child of the importance of social distancing and to avoid mass gatherings;
- and inform the school principal, as soon as possible, if your child tests positive for COVID-19.
Supports for Students and Families
We recognize navigating the various impacts of the pandemic can be stressful for our students and their families. If your family needs assistance please reach out.
- SPEC Covid Help Line - SPEC can provide supports for families impacted by COVID. They can direct families who may need access to food hampers, help accessing government programs (ie. recovery benefits) and other referrals to local services etc. Staff or parents can call the help line at 403-376-1926. Monday to Friday. 9:00am to 5:00pm.
- Mental Wellness - For individuals who have been indirectly or directly affected by COVID-19, there can be increased stress, anxiety and fear. The list below may be helpful.
- Grasslands’ Innovations Wellness Team Website
- Grasslands Mental Health and Wellness Resources
- Back to School Health - Family Resources
- Alberta Health Services - Help in Tough Times
- Alberta Health Services - COVID-19 and Your Mental Health
- Trauma Informed Practices
- The Trauma Aware Educator
- The National Child Traumatic Stress Network
- Brain Story - Alberta Family Wellness Initiative
- Everyday Mental Health Classroom Resources
- Supporting Learning at Home (mental health)
In challenging times, especially when it comes to our children, there are never enough ways to say thank you. Collectively, the efforts of our amazing parent community and our dedicated and outstanding board of trustees and staff have supported our students through another change to their learning experiences. Although these transition periods in our students' education are never perfect, we have been able to maintain a focus on learning, well-being and resilience. We are grateful for your support and partnership. We appreciate your understanding and patience. We thank you for your confidence and trust!
My best wishes to you and your family in 2021.